Each year we aim to offer a variety of arts and special interest events to include the whole community.
A Special Sangha Night for the Rainforest
Join us for an evening of meditation, music, poetry, personal stories, and generosity. Lyla June and Minal Hajratwala will perform. Christine Thuring (from the Vancouver sangha), and Tim Skufca & Marta Meengs (from the Montana sangha) will share their experiences with engaged Buddhism on behalf of the earth. We'll also introduce the Green Sangha's love affair with the rainforest. We hope you can be with us to celebrate and protect the lungs of the earth!
To register and receive the Zoom link, please visit our Sangha Nights in April page, and complete the form at the bottom of the page. We'll send you the zoom link by 2pm on the day of the event.
Three Jewels One World
Note: There are several events, each with a different start time. This event marks the start of a coming together of all those in Triratna and beyond for whom concern for the environment is an intrinsic part of their Dharma practice. We will be gathering online on Earth Day (April 22nd) for a period of meditation, sitting in solidarity with this beautiful fleeting world. So, wherever you are in the world, please join us.
First sit led by Paramananda
Click Here to join the meditation
USA 11:30pm PST on April 21 -- Note it's a day earlier than all other events in the States
UK & IE 7.30am
Continental Europe 8.30am CET
Second sit led by Parami
Click Here to join the meditation
USA 6.30am PST
USA 9.30am EST
UK & IE 2.30pm
Continental Europe 3.30pm CET
Earth Day Reflection hosted by the Glasgow Buddhist Centre
Click here to join the reflection
USA 9.30am PST
USA 12.30pm EST
UK & IE 5.30pm
Continental Europe 6.30pm CET
Vivir con Atención Plena
Curso de 4 semanas - 6 de mayo - 25 de mayo, de 6pm a 8pm
¿Te gustaría vivir la vida más plenamente?
En este curso introductorio totalmente práctico, a lo largo de 4 semanas aprenderemos cómo cultivar atención plena al cuerpo, las sensaciones, las emociones, a los pensamientos y a la realidad. Esto nos ayudará a crear cambios significativos en la forma en la que nos vemos y nos relacionamos con el mundo. Estableceremos una rutina de meditación con objetivos claros y realistas. Desarrollaremos herramientas para estar más atentos a los pequeños detalles de nuestra vida, así como a las cosas realmente importantes que tienen un impacto en ella. Conoceremos mejor nuestra mente y la forma en la que nos relacionamos con el mundo, y aprenderemos cómo cambiar y mejorar dicha relación.
Te invitamos a este curso de 4 semanas en donde aprenderemos la consciencia plena ("mindfulness") y meditación de la manera más clara y sencilla para que sea fácil de entender y practicar en casa y en todas las situaciones de tu vida. Si eres nueva al Mindfulness o ya lo conoces, entonces este curso es para tí.
Un curso para aquellos y aquellas que eligen vivir y sanar. Espero que hagas esa elección y tomes el curso.
Por favor inscríbete antes del 4 de mayo y te enviaremos la liga de zoom para unirte al grupo.
Para inscribirte: introduce la cantidad que deseas donar en el cuadro que dice "Event Donation" y da click en "Add to cart". La donación que se sugiere es de $120 a $90. Las donaciones son muy apreciadas, pero si estás teniendo alguna dificultad económica, por favor, siéntete libre de donar una menor cantidad o pon 0 y da click en "Pay later" en la página de pagos. (Si no pones "pagar después" tu inscripción no quedará registrada.)
Saturday May 22, 10am to 12 PDT
We're very happy and fortunate that Bodhilila is able to join us on zoom to lead a healing meditation morning.
Bodhilila is chair of the West London Buddhist Center, and has many years of experience of teaching and leading retreats. She is also a member of the BIPOC/BAME teaching kula with Viveka, Singhashri and others hosting the monthly Welcoming Liberation classes on the last Saturday of the month.
Please register below by noon May 20 if you would like to attend this online class and we will send you the link by 2pm that day.
If you miss the registration deadline or have questions please email us and we'll respond if we're able.
To register: enter the amount you wish to donate in the Event Donation box and click add to cart. Thank you!
Suggested donation $50 to $20 or whatever you an afford. All donations are greatly appreciated but if you are facing financial difficulties please feel free to enter 0, and make sure to click 'pay later' on the payment page (to make sure your registration goes through).
The Lion's Roar: Speaking Up in a Troubled World
Supporting Commitment to change
The SFBC is committed to working with Sangha Members and others to share resources and training and take action where we can towards ending the oppression of Black, Indigenous and People of Color in our own communities and around the world.
This list is very much a work in progress.
Triratna BIPOC/BAME events and spaces
- Welcoming Liberation - a Space for Thriving BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) BAME (Black, Asian, Minority, Ethnic) Dharma and Community Connection. Meets the last Saturday of every month at 9am PST. First meeting is Aug 29. Info and registration here.
Triratna/SFBC events and recordings open to all
Courageous Conversations About Race: A series curated by Vimalasara, July 25, Sep 5 and Sep 26
- The Buddhist Center Online a series of conversatios: Getting Real - Soulful Meditation and Conversation with Viveka and Paramananda, following the pilot inspired by James Baldwin and his poem "For Nothing is Fixed"
Viveka - Mindfulness and the Creative Disruption of Bias - racism from the perspective of the Dharma (Facebook video - SFBC talk 2016)
Triatna/SFBC events for Core Sangha (Order Members and Mitras)
- Our Liberation is Intertwined - Interrupting the karmic momentum of racism: a weekend retreat for Triratna Order Members and Mitras, hosted by Aryaloka. Fri Aug 21 to Sun Aug 23 - 2.5 hours per day.
A Selection of Local and Online Events and Resources recommended by Sangha Members
Speaking out against Asian American Violence - San Francisco Zen Center resources.
- (White) Awareness is Revolutionary https://www.awarenessisrevolutionary.com a new website put together by a collective of white and white-presenting members of the Triratna Buddhist Community (TBC) committing to support racial justice.
- An excellent compendium put together by members of Triratna on the East Coast: (Some Additional) Resources for Buddhists Committing to Racial Justice.
- Showing up for Racial Justice Bay Area and San Francisco
- Race - the power of an illusion, award-winning documentary discussing the origins, beliefs and consequences of what we call race.
Race Forward Building Racial Equity virtual trainings - how to challenge and change institutional racial inequities - spaces July and August.
- A list of Anti-racism resources for white people
- Support Black-Owned Businesses
- Support Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants
- Petition to Rename George Washington High School after former student and national hero Maya Angelou
- Support for undocumented residents: Undocufund (SFBC is donating part of June Sangha Night income to this local non-profit.)
- EJI Equal Justice Initiative: https://eji.org
- Incarceration: companies exploiting prison labor.