This retreat is for women in ordination training with the Triratna Buddhist Community.
Dates: April 13 - 23. Register as soon as you can to assure a place on the retreat, and to help with organization. Registration will close March 28 or earlier if the retreat fills up.
Theme: The Bodhisattva Path. We will be exploring the meaning of Bodhicitta and the Altruistic Dimension of going for refuge through study, talks, meditation, and devotional practices.
Preparation: Here is a PDF of the Handbook for this retreat provided by Tiratanaloka. Please read all of the material indicated as required, even though we may not be studying all of it. You may want to listen to some of the talks on Free Buddhist Audio as well.
Cost: $45/night sliding scale for whole retreat: $450 - $600. If you pay more than the lowest fee, you are providing dana for those who need it. If you need to request a lower rate please pay the deposit when you book and let us know what is affordable for you.
Paying: There are several ways to pay:
- Pay in full through paypal when you book.
- Pay a deposit of $100 through paypal and pay the remaining amount through paypal or check by March 28.
- Pay by check* by choosing "pay by check" and sending a check for the full amount when you book, or sending a check for the deposit of $100 when you book, and sending the remaining amount by March 28.
- If you choose "pay by check" you can still pay through paypal later - our account is firstname.lastname@example.org, or go here.
- (Retreat team please choose "pay by check" and do nothing further.)
Retreat Team: Dayanandi, Karunadevi, Viriyalila, Dharmasuri, Aryadrishti, Danamaya
Accommodations: We encourage you to camp if you are able. We have some tents and camping gear you may borrow. Indoor sleeping is limited and there are no private rooms.
If you are flying in and arrive before April 13, you will need to arrange somewhere to stay.
Flying into San Francisco Airport:
Try to arrive on April 13 by 2 pm at the latest. There will be carpools driving people to the retreat center about 2 - 3 hours away.
You can also fly into Oakland Airport if it's cheaper or more convenient, and if you are willing to get Bart if necessary to the SFBC - it's a straightforward ride and just a 2.5 block walk. While it's quite possible someone leaving from Oakland can pick you up we can't guarantee that until we know who is coming and/or helping with driving.
Try to schedule your flight to leave after 4 pm from SFO (or Oakland as above - maybe allow extra time). The retreat will end by 11 am.
If you need to leave the retreat before the end, you may leave on April 18. Transportation will be arranged for that morning to take you into San Francisco or SFO. (When registering please choose the payment amount for 3 days, although it's really 5 nights - we will know what you mean - it's just an inflexible system.)
* checks should be made out to FWBO BA and mailed to San Francisco Buddhist Center, 37 Bartlett St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Sliding Scale Payments: If you can please pay the maximum amount to help those who need a lower rate. If you wish to pay a lower amount please select the minimum amount and then in the shopping cart please add a donation to top up the amount you wish to pay.
Deposit: You can also make a deposit to book and then pay the remainder later.