The SFBC is committed to working with Sangha Members and others to share resources and training and take action where we can towards ending the oppression of Black, Indigenous and People of Color in our own communities and around the world.
This list is very much a work in progress.
Triratna BIPOC/BAME events and spaces
- Welcoming Liberation - a Space for Thriving BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) BAME (Black, Asian, Minority, Ethnic) Dharma and Community Connection. Meets the last Saturday of every month at 9am PST. First meeting is Aug 29. Info and registration here.
Triratna/SFBC events and recordings open to all
I am because we are, a two day retreat with Singashri, Feb 12 and 13, online: How do we show up for ourselves and others with an attitude of openness and curiosity, willing to see clearly the parts of us that are both longing for freedom and those still in the shadows, confused, or actively resisting change?
Courageous Conversations About Race: A series curated by Vimalasara, July 25, Sep 5 and Sep 26
- The Buddhist Center Online a series of conversatios: Getting Real - Soulful Meditation and Conversation with Viveka and Paramananda, following the pilot inspired by James Baldwin and his poem "For Nothing is Fixed"
Viveka - Mindfulness and the Creative Disruption of Bias - racism from the perspective of the Dharma (Facebook video - SFBC talk 2016)
Triatna/SFBC events for Core Sangha (Order Members and Mitras)
- Our Liberation is Intertwined - Interrupting the karmic momentum of racism: a weekend retreat for Triratna Order Members and Mitras, hosted by Aryaloka. Fri Aug 21 to Sun Aug 23 - 2.5 hours per day.
A Selection of Local and Online Events and Resources recommended by Sangha Members
Speaking out against Asian American Violence - San Francisco Zen Center resources.
- (White) Awareness is Revolutionary https://www.awarenessisrevolutionary.com a new website put together by a collective of white and white-presenting members of the Triratna Buddhist Community (TBC) committing to support racial justice.
- An excellent compendium put together by members of Triratna on the East Coast: (Some Additional) Resources for Buddhists Committing to Racial Justice.
- Meditation Coalition Resources and classes.
- Showing up for Racial Justice Bay Area and San Francisco
- Race - the power of an illusion, award-winning documentary discussing the origins, beliefs and consequences of what we call race.
Race Forward Building Racial Equity virtual trainings - how to challenge and change institutional racial inequities - spaces July and August.
- A list of Anti-racism resources for white people
- Support Black-Owned Businesses
- Support Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants
- Petition to Rename George Washington High School after former student and national hero Maya Angelou
- Support for undocumented residents: Undocufund (SFBC is donating part of June Sangha Night income to this local non-profit.)
- EJI Equal Justice Initiative: https://eji.org
- Incarceration: companies exploiting prison labor.