In support of a recent statement from PACT (Pan American Chairs - Triratna) the SFBC is committed to working with Sangha Members and others to share resources and training and take action where we can towards ending the oppression of Black, Indigenous and People of Color in our own communities and around the world.
This list is very much a work in progress.
Triratna/SFBC Resources and events
Courageous Conversations About Race: A series curated by Vimalasara, beginning July 25
- Thursday Sangha vigil supporting Black Lives Matter, 6pm (email for details)
The Buddhist Center Online a series of conversatios: Getting Real - Soulful Meditation and Conversation with Viveka and Paramananda, following the pilot inspired by James Baldwin and his poem "For Nothing is Fixed"
Viveka - Mindfulness and the Creative Disruption of Bias - racism from the perspective of the Dharma (Facebook video - SFBC talk 2016)
Triatna/SFBC events for Core Sangha (Order Members and Mitras)
- Our Liberation is Intertwined - Interrupting the karmic momentum of racism: a weekend retreat for Triratna Order Members and Mitras, hosted by Aryaloka. Fri Aug 21 to Sun Aug 23 - 2.5 hours per day.
A Selection of Local and Online Events and Resources recommended by Sangha Members
- An excellent compendium put together by members of Triratna on the East Coast: (Some Additional) Resources for Buddhists Committing to Racial Justice.
- Showing up for Racial Justice Bay Area and San Francisco
Race Forward Building Racial Equity virtual trainings - how to challenge and change institutional racial inequities - spaces July and August.
Spirit Rock White and Awakening Together - register by end of July.
- A list of Anti-racism resources for white people
- Support Black-Owned Vegan Restaurants
- Petition to Rename George Washington High School after former student and national hero Maya Angelou
- Support for undocumented residents: Undocufund (SFBC is donating part of June Sangha Night income to this local non-profit.)
- Incarceration: companies exploiting prison labor.